Wednesday 27 July 2011

Snickers brownies!


I write this peeking through chocolate covered hair...dang brownie mix! I decided as I was making brownies today I might put a little somethin' somethin' in them to make them sing. I stood in front of the chocolate stand in co-op for at least 10 minutes and at one point sat on the floor trying to work out what else to put in them. I'm not going to lie I got a few preeeetty strange looks sat down there, people started avoiding the aisle and eye contact with me, the crazy lady hoarding chocolate. It was not my finest hour...  I eventually took the hint and went with the snickers...peanut nougat, peanuts, caramel AND chocolate? Oh hello! I used Jamie Oliver's brownie recipe as the base for this as it is absolutely divine!
This is my first attempt at brownies since stupendously undercooking them and I'm nervous. I was trying to make my friend Lizzie (hiiiiii Lizzie) some cheer up brownies and I essentially gave her chocolate goo... chocolate goo carefully wrapped in foil so it wouldn't leak. She told me it was delicious anyway, she's polite like that :) I have a fear of overcooked brownies. Overcooked brownies are not brownies they are just chocolate cake cut into squares, and no-one wants little square chocolate cakes. So now I'm sitting here waiting for them to cool desperately hoping they're not overcooked...fingers crossed! 

Yey they worked although I won't be able to put an exact cooking time on this recipe as it seems to vary wildly between ovens. My oven in Cardiff cooked these perfectly in 20 minutes but they take at least 30 at home. 

I'd say next time you decide to make brownies have a go at these. They are super rich but thats just an excellent excuse to serve them with cream or ice cream :) The caramel and peanuts add a whole other salty dimension to the brownies. Basically make them, you won’t regret it. 



 Ingredients:
200g Dark chocolate, chopped
2 Snickers bars
250g Butter
65g Plain flour
80g Cocoa powder
1tsp Baking powder
360g Caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4
Line a brownie tin with baking paper or tin foil.
Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
Place the dark chocolate and butter in a heat-proof bowl and set over simmering water until melted, stirring occasionally.
Take a knife and thinly slice the Snickers, resist the urge to eat immediately.
Pour the chocolate and butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir. The mixture will appear quite lumpy at first so don’t worry if it looks funny. Add the beaten eggs and stir until the mixture becomes smooth. Mix in the chopped snickers pieces.
Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 20-30 minutes. Keep an eye on it from about 20 minutes onwards. When it's ready it should be a little firm with a slight wobble.
Leave them to cool in the pan, before transferring to a chopping board and cutting into squares.
 
Enjoy! x




.

No comments:

Post a Comment