Wednesday 5 October 2011

An Ode to Sweetcorn

I am obsessed with sweetcorn. This summer my obsession has grown tenfold. I have eaten it as much as humanly possible and will continue to do so until my friends and family decide to stage an intervention. Corn on the cob is amazing, tinned sweetcorn heated with some butter fantastic, but I thought I’d try something else with our humble yellow friend. I give you Sweetcorn Bake! 


Ok it’s an awful name but that’s what it is so I’m sticking with it! I have eaten this bake solidly through the summer with everything; chicken, pork, steak... (By everything I mean meat. I’m fairly certain you can eat it with other things, these other things just didn’t happen to fit in with my strictly carnivorous summer dining) It’s perfect as the ingredients can be chopped and changed depending on preference; I don’t think I’ve made it the same way twice. This version is a leetle spicy but feel free to omit the chillies completely if you wish (Lucy I’m talking to you here). So go forth and bake sweetcorn, it’s the future I tell you!

(I’ve grilled corn on the cob in this recipe but tinned sweetcorn works just as well and is twice as quick!)

Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 ears of corn
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 green chillies, chopped
250g strong cheddar, grated
A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
5 tbsp Creme fraiche
1 tbsp butter
½ tbsp Olive Oil

Method
Preheat grill. Rub or spray olive oil onto sweetcorn and generously season with salt and pepper. Place under grill and cook until golden brown, approximately 5-10 minutes, then allow the corn to cool. Once cooled place the sweetcorn upright on a chopping board and use a sharp knife to remove all kernels, place to one side.
In a frying pan melt the butter over a medium-low heat until frothy. Then add the onion and cook for a few minutes until softened. Next add the chillies, cook for a few minutes before adding the sweetcorn. Mix in 1/3 of the grated cheese and then turn off the heat.  Once the cheese has melted nicely stir in the coriander and crème fraiche.
Pour the mixture into a buttered baking dish, cover with remaining cheese and grill until golden and bubbly. 

Enjoy! x

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! Thank you for my mention, finally. I may well just make this, minus the chilles of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE sweet corn, this recipe sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete